Difference between BIM and RevitTweet
- BIM is a process. Revit is a tool to influence that process.
- There is still the main confusion between Building Information Modeling and Revit. BIM consider being a piece of software such as Revit. But in general Revit is one of the BIM tools. The creation of the 3D digital BIM model uses Revit.
- BIM is a methodological process and Revit is a single application built for Building Information Modeling with features for the three main disciplines of the AEC Industry (Architectural, MEP- Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing, Structural engineering).
According to BRE Academy, Building Information Modeling (BIM) is an integrated process. Coordinated reliable information builds to create coordinated digital design information and documentation, predict performance appearance and cost, deliver projects faster economically, with reduced environmental impact. The fundamental definition of BIM: There is always one single source of truth.
According to NBS, BIM or Building Information Modeling is a process for creating and managing information on a construction project across the project lifecycle. Creating a digital Building Information Model enables those who interact with the building to optimize their actions, resulting in a great lifetime value for the asset.
According to Autodesk: Autodesk Revit software is specifically built for Building Information Modeling (BIM), helping building professionals design, build, and maintain higher-quality, more energy-efficient buildings.
Why BIM is not just Revit
People from disciplines ranges are working together. Coordination is necessary to complete a successful BIM project. You work with a BIM Execution plan, a CDE(Common Data Environment). It follows a LOD strategy (amount of information inserted on each project stage), creates cabbie Sheets, works with SMPs, (Standards, Methods, and Procedures), Clash reports, and 4D Construction Sequencing in BIM. The BIM process captures and documents the Employer's requirements. Additional information management role emerges in the workplace. It ensures the approval and coordination of the digital model information.
BIM is more than just Revit, and this needs to communicate continually. Revit digital model creates a database consisting of information at all stages of a construction project.
A digital building creates using 3D intelligent objects with stored data that can use to a successful time and cost management for the whole lifecycle of a project. Revit uses components of model-building to analyze and simulate systems and structures.
Revit collaboration tools allow all team members to work in shared models and import, export, and link data with the commonly used format (IFC, DWG, DGN). The shared models can access by multiple project contributors at every phase. That results in better coordination and reduced errors and rework. Revit 3D tools of visualization give effective communication between project owners and team members by using models to create high-impact 3D visuals.
Revit is software that supports the BIM process. Even in their sites of Autodesk mentions that Revit is software of BIM. However, BIM Revit models permit you to:
- Work with parametric objects: Each component has qualities of parametric.
- Quick changes, no repetition: Whenever a model changes, the software automatically updates every related component, affecting the whole building model, documentation, details, etc.
- Construction documentation: High-quality documentation automatically produces from the 3D model.
- Quantities and Cost estimation: Automatic generates from inserted data.
- Coordination: Shared models can enable teams to collaborate effectively and reduce conflicts.
- 3D Visualization: Better communication for the client as well as your team.
- Interoperability - Revit imports - exports - links your data with basic formats such as IFC.